+1 (702) 448-2125    

The Science of SilverDyne ®


SilverDyne® is a natural, silver-based water disinfection product which consists of a stable suspension of natural silver nanoparticles in purified water with a dispersant to keep the silver in suspension. When used as directed, it will disinfect water and can extend the shelf life of most fruits and vegetables without any taste, odor, color, or toxicity.

Natural silver causes microorganisms to die for lack of oxygen, and they cannot develop any kind of resistance to it.

SilverDyne® contains both elemental and ionic particles of true natural silver. These are clustered in nanoparticles engineered to provide the optimal surface area for microbial contact and disinfection. At the recommended usage level (1 drop per 1 liters, 4 drops per gallon), the treated water contains 90 parts per billion of nano-silver, which is well below the World Health Organization and EPA standards and guidelines.

SilverDyne® is intended only for use as a water disinfectant. It is neither a medicine nor a drug. It is not intended for application on or in the human body except by incidental ingestion from treated water. For this reason, it is not on the National Drug List, and the questions on the New Medicine Screening Checklist are not applicable to this product.

SilverDyne® is a clustered, double-distilled water compound, consisting of colloidal silver-based stable suspension that forms a non-toxic, non-chemical, and non-hazardous product. When used as directed, SilverDyne® will disinfect water without any taste, odor, color, or toxic effects. SilverDyne® is engineered and manufactured using proprietary engineering that utilizes special clustering de-ionized water and other processes that keep silver particles in suspension for increased absorption and efficiency. The result is true colloidal silver; a suspension that is lethal to bacteria and other biological contaminants; but not harmful to humans or the environment.

SilverDyne® Safety
When used as directed, SilverDyne® is safe for the general population In practical terms, it is inconceivable that a person could ingest enough SilverDyne® to cause any adverse effects.

SilverDyne® is effective at concentrations well below allowed levels of many toxic chemicals. Additionally, only a small fraction of silver is retained in the body. According to the World Health Organization report Guidelines for Drinking Water (2nd edition, volume 2, 1996), less than 10% of ingested silver is retained in the body. The WHO guidelines cite the US EPA report Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Silver (Washington, DC, 1980) regarding silver retention. It is thereby difficult or impossible for silver from SilverDyne® to accumulate and reach harmful concentrations in the body. WHO guidelines state that the estimated acute dose of silver is at least 10 grams over a life time.

To get 10 grams of silver from SilverDyne®, an individual would have to drink:

  • 4 liters of SilverDyne®-treated water every day for over 76 years.
  • Assuming a worst case 10% retention of silver, it would take 761 years at 4 liters a day to retain 10 grams of silver from SilverDyne®-treated water.

SilverDyne® exhibits remarkably long shelf life at ambient conditions, and will remain stable and effective through the life of the unopened package. SilverDyne® is sensitive to early form x-rays, ultra-violet light, direct sunlight and magnets; so extensive exposure to these energy sources should be avoided. SilverDyne® poses NO threat to the environment and is not only NOT harmful to pets, livestock or agriculture, but instead most beneficial. In the digestive system, the silver component of SilverDyne® is quickly neutralized by stomach acid, posing no threat to essential flora in the digestive system.

EPA Standards
The amounts of silver that can be safely consumed in drinking water are .005 milligrams per kilogram of body weight per day (EPA RED document, page 2, 4th paragraph). This means that a normal sized adult could consume an ounce (6 tsp) of the 10 ppm every day, for a 72 year lifespan and still be within the safe limits as defined by the EPA. In the EPA RED document for silver, the EPA goes on to state (page 3, 4th paragraph) “The EPA does not anticipate that dietary exposure to these low levels of silver will be associated with any significant degree of risk.”

Guidelines for Silver and Drinking Water

Absorption and Retention of Ingested Silver
According to the EPA IRIS Report on silver (Integrated Risk Information Systems), page 5, 1st paragraph, it states that a number of tests were completed to test the absorption and retention of ingested silver in a number of animals (including primates). In conclusion, the test work indicated that between 90 – 99% of ingested silver was excreted on the second day after ingestion, and greater than 99% was excreted in less than a week. So, in other words almost all of the silver was out of the body in only two days, which indicates that silver does not build up in the system when consumed in small amounts{as some contrary special interests persist in claiming.

Almost Everyone Has Used Silver To Kill Bacteria
Just about every single person born in the United States in the last 80 years was treated with a silver product at the time of birth. Silver was found to be so safe and effective at eliminating the bacteria that newborns pick up in their eyes coming through the birth canal, that at one point, it was mandated by law that it be used in the hospitals and clinics.

A Formal Assessment of SilverDyne®

Download Study (pdf)

SilverDyne® is a product intended for the treatment of drinking water for personal use. An advantage of silver over chlorine is that it is much more persistent in water and its efficacy is less influenced by soluble organic matter (Gerba, Silver as a Disinfectant). The United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA, 1987), National Sanitation Foundation (NSF, 2006) and the World Health Organization (WHO, 2011) have recommendations for the reduction of bacteria, viruses and protozoan parasites for water treatment disinfectants and devices. This study was conducted to assess the ability of SilverDyne to reduce the numbers of an enteric bacterium and a bacterial virus. Raoultella terrigena (formally Klebsiella terrigena) and coliphage MS-2 were used as the test organisms in accordance with procedures out line in the United States Environmental Protection Agency Guide Standard for Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers (USEPA, 1987).

Copyright © 2021 World Health Alliance International. All rights reserved. SilverDyne® is a registered trademark of World Health Alliance International.